Thursday 6 November 2008

Synovium inflammed

thank God that there's nothing seriously wrong with my knee. My sister drove me to Berkeley Ortho to see Dr. Strotz (tel #510 845-3856). He said that my ACL, ligaments, joints are all OK except that there's an inflammation in the synovium.
According to About.com, Synovium is the smooth lining of a joint. Synovium produces synovial fluid, a clear substance that lubricates and nourishes the cartilage and bones inside the joint capsule.
He recommended to REST (off my legs!) and to take 3x ibuprofen tabs per meal or 9 tabs for at least two weeks until the swelling subsides. He also said NOT to engage in any weight-bearing activity for that period. Swimming is okay as long as I don't kick.
Bottom line is, he said that my base training preparation was inadequate for the 26.2 mile distance (or 42-km). He said that minimum of at least 30-miles a week as base (at least 6 months to a year of running) prior to training. Honestly, I only trained after the triathlon in Bali (a week after June 29) plus laid off training for a month due to my heel spur injury. I must admit that I'm no spring chicken that can wing less than 16-weeks of training. I guess it was sheer will power that propeled me to cross that finish line last Sunday.
If I have to do this again, my sister who's a serious biker, said to do periodization and plan properly. And to add weight training to strengthen my quads which will help strengthen my knees. First thing, first.. Let's see how fast my knee heals.

No comments: