Wednesday 23 May 2012

Going Gaga over Born this Way Tour in Manila

Critics missed Lady Gaga wrapping the flag around her face
Amid calls by religious organizations to cancel Lady Gaga's concert, her two-day Born This Way Ball Tour  in the newly built 20,000-seater Mall of Asia Arena was sold out despite the pricey tickets.

The protesters accused her of 'symbolizing everything that is corrupt and demonic'. Well, 26-year old Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta a.k.a Lady Gaga is definitely far from being demonic, she is believe it or not honest, modest and quite charming!

This college drop out (like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates), started her career in 2007 as a songwriter and in 2008 became famous for her debut album The Fame. Since then she has sold 23 million albums and 64 million singles worldwide and received five Grammy Awards and 13 MTV Video Music Awards.

Lady Gaga in her infamous meat dress
Frankly, after watching last night's performance, this pop diva actually strikes me more of an activist, a crusader campaigning against bullying, against gay discrimination and even against the treatment of women as 'a piece of meat'.

She dedicated Hair to "... all those kids  who take their lives when they're so young because they feel bullied, or they're afraid because they're gay and they don't want to tell anybody... what I don't respect is homophobia and hatred.. I reject intolerance to the gay community."

Her message to all the little monsters last night was simply about acceptance and self confidence, to be proud of who you are. She said "I know that everybody.. thinks that I stand for... really inappropriate things that are really bad for.. ... The truth is, I want the best for every single one of you. I love you with all of my heart and all my soul.. and all the things that I think about and the way that I am, it's my lifestyle, it's just part of this one big giant performance art statement of liberation. So, I hope that you feel tonight as free as your hair. And to those of you that don't feel free, take the best opportunity to free yourselves."

From the lyrics of Born this Way: Don't hide yourself in regret, just love yourself and you're set, I'm on the right track baby, I'm born this way. 

Lady Gaga's set list in Manila:

For her opening act Highway Unicorn, she came out on horseback clad in a horned headpiece

Government Hooker
She wowed the little monsters by donning a yellow terno (Philippine national costume) in Born this Way


Black Jesus + Amen
In a towering white outfit singing Bloody Mary



Bad romance

Alas, the battery of my phone ran out.. so I'm just sending the youtube links below. :-)
Judas
Fashion of his Love
Just Dance
Love Game
Heavy Metal Lover
Bad Kids
Telephone
Hair
You and I
Electric Chapel
Americano
Poker Face
Alejandro
Sheiße
Paparazzzi
Edge of Glory
Marry the Night



No comments: